In today’s electronic world, battery life is as important as any other resource we use. More often than not, our daily lives revolve around the battery life of our devices. Whether it’s your phone, laptop, tablet, or vaporizer, we are all guilty of making a decision based on how much juice we got left in our devices. It is kind of ridiculous but that’s the world we live in. In this article, we are going to be looking at the dos and don’ts of vape batteries.
Basics of Lithium-Ion batteries
mAh (milliampere-hour) is a technical term that denotes the amount of electrical charge a battery holds. Amps (ampere) is the base unit of electricity and represents the flow of electricity. In most cases, when a battery has 900mAH, it means that the battery can provide 900 milli-amps of power for 1 hour. Lithium-ion batteries have three distinct compartments: a positive electrode, a negative electrode, and a chemical compound known as an electrolyte, lithium-cobalt oxide or lithium iron phosphate, that lies in between the two electrodes.
All lithium-ion batteries work generally the same way. When the battery is charging, lithium ions move through the electrolyte from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. The energy is stored in the negative terminal and when the battery is used, lithium-ions move back through the electrolyte to the positive terminal, producing the power needed for your vaporizer to work.
Lithium-ion batteries have built-in electronic controllers that regulate the flow of lithium ions. This built-in control system aims to prevent overcharging and overheating which are two of the main reasons why batteries explode.
The most popular battery used for vaporizers is the 18650 battery, which is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. What makes this battery so popular is its stellar safety record, affordability, and its rechargeability. With proper usage and maintenance, the 18650 can last you a while before you replace it.
Do’s and Don’ts of battery safety
Regardless of what type of battery you are using, there are a couple of things that you can do to ensure your battery lasts as long as it possibly can.
- Use the right charger for your battery
- Use the right battery for your device
- Always inspect your battery and look for any signs of damage
- Always try to fully charge your battery before disconnecting and using it
- Keep your battery out of the sun
- Keep your battery dry at all times (avoid spilling on it or keeping it in a pocket where you could get sweat on it)
- When you are not using it, keep it in a drawer, where the temperature doesn’t fluctuate too much
- Buy batteries when you need them, keeping batteries in storage for an extended period of time alters the performance and stability of the battery
- Do not allow your battery to be empty. Always try to charge it when the device indicates that it is time to recharge
- Do not overload your battery by using a device that requires more power than what the battery is capable of providing
- Do not charge above the designated voltage, or surpass the manufacturer’s specifications
- Never charge your vape battery and leave it unattended
- Do not continue to use or charge batteries that are visibly damaged or appear to be compromised
- Avoid traveling on an airplane with a lithium-ion battery, the pressurized environment has been suspected to alter battery performance
- Do not carelessly dispose of batteries, follow local rules and regulations
What can cause a vape battery to explode?
The overall care and maintenance of the battery must be grossly and continuously overlooked in order for a battery to explode. Overcharging and overheating are two of the leading reasons why batteries don’t typically last as long as they should, however, these reasons very rarely lead to the batteries exploding. In lithium-ion batteries particularly, there are many fail-safes that are put in place to prevent overcharging and overheating from happening. In fact, lithium-ion batteries are so safe that there is a 0.0000001% chance of explosion.
Although there have been stories on how vape users experienced and were injured by their vaporizers combusting, sparking, or even exploding. However, it is important to note, all those incidents have led back to improper handling and misuse of the battery. Mishandling a battery regardless of what type of battery it is can trigger a chemical imbalance that results in an explosion. That is why it is important to always use the right charger to charge your device, this applies to all electronic devices, not just your vaporizer.
Battery charging bay vs. USB charging
Most people charge their devices using a USB, it is without question the easiest and most common way to charge your battery. However, there are a few problems that can arise from charging with a USB, namely, you risk providing insufficient power to charge the battery. This can result in having a battery that didn’t charge. You also risk overloading the battery which can cause it to be defunct a lot sooner.
Using a battery charging bay is the most effective way to charge your battery, however, it is a substantial financial investment. Although they are expensive, charging bays can be extremely beneficial and not just for your vaporizer but for other battery-operated devices you own.
Charging bays have many benefits namely:
- Fast charging
- Multiple charging ports
- Charging bays have a chip that provides accurate and reliable charging
- Even charging
- Charging bays allow you to charge different sized batteries on the same device
- Prevents overcharging and overheating
- Increase battery longevity
Proper handling of your battery can increase its longevity. Although instances like batteries exploding, sparking, or combusting are rare they are still within the realm of possibilities. Not to mention that batteries, like any other mass-produced products, can have innate factory flaws that you know nothing about. You can extend the lifespan of your battery by taking good care of it. Adhering to the manufacturer’s recommendations, and understanding what can compromise your battery life.
Linked below are some great batteries and chargers that we recommend you consider before your next purchase:
Safest vape batteries
Best vape battery chargers